Thursday, October 6, 2022

Privacy

 US citizens worried about online privacy but won't act - Smart Cities World

    After watching the four videos my initial reaction was that my electronics aren't tapped and nobody has ever listened to any of my phone calls. But the more I think about it, how would I know? I was thinking about what I was going to write about and I could relate this to how it impacts me. The first thing that came to my mind was the fact that I get ads on instagram that are oddly the same thing I could have been talking about earlier with friends. The other day I was talking on the phone with my friend about possibly going to the Yankees playoff game over October break. After I hang up the phone I get an add on instagram of ticketmaster advertising the the Yankees games. Social media platforms will eavesdrop on us and then put ads of what we were talking about on our social media feeds.

    Issues like these affect us and our family, friends, etc. more than we think. The second video talked about how phone companies or governments listens to our phone calls and texts/emails everyday. This is definitely an invasion of privacy because of how often we send texts and go on our phones. Nothing is private and anything we send is stored and saved somewhere out in the world. It affects me personally because I'm sure there are texts and emails that I have sent that I regret sending that our somewhere out there and there is nothing that I can do about it. 

    I feel like the government knows what is going on but refuses to do anything about it, instead they are doing more of it. The first video talks about the police getting scanners that scans our license plate and then information about us pops up. This is an example of how the government will keep doing things like this to improve our safety but also giving up our privacy. The question asked should be: Is it worth it? 

    We could to several things to protect ourselves but the biggest one is knowing what you are doing and what you are putting out there. Before I post something or send a text I always think about what could happen if I were to post or send the text, because no matter what it will be out there somewhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Post

My Relationship with Technology When you think about your day and look at what you did, a huge majority of people will mention something abo...